The 23-minute video on the first 50 years of the Los Angeles Chapter. The webmaster is having a bit of difficulty adapting it for the web. Bear with us, and watch this space for when the video is up and running.
Los Angeles Chapter ASSE History.
The end of the Second World War brought a surge of population and industry to supply the new residents to the Southern California Area. With the conversion from military production to civilian goods and services came a need for greater safety and the personnel to provide it.
The Safety Engineers who were here with the war effort and the newcomers gathered at the Roger Young Auditorium for the first meeting of the newly chartered Los Angeles Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers. This was in 1946. The Charter Certificate was delivered in 1948 and is so dated.
Only one of the founding members is still regularly active in the Chapter. This is Joe Kaplan, Retired President and CEO of the Greater Los Angeles Chapter of the National Safety Council. Joe was recently recognized for his over 60 years of work in the Safety Profession as he was made a fellow of the Institute for the Advancement of Engineering in Los Angeles. Joe received his ASSE 25 year certificate back in 1982. Recently, Joe has been serving ASSELA as the Public Relations Chair. Joe was awarded the J. Wesley Gebb Memorial Award in 2005. The Chapter celebrated his 95th birthday with him at the June, 2009 meeting.
Recent years have seen many changes in the Los Angeles Area that have affected Chapter activities. The auto industry and many of its suppliers have shut down. The aerospace industry has consolidated and moved out of town. Insurance has dispersed from the Wilshire district, and banking has been bought out and moved out of Downtown. Heavy industry like metal producers have vanished from the near east side, as have many food companies, as lower shipping costs and environmental regulations have forced them to close or relocate.
Chapter General Chairmen and Presidents:
[ Note: Designations (CSP, PE, etc) reflect those held during their active tenure with ASSELA. They may not reflect current status. ]
- 1946 – B. F. McDonald (General Chairman)1947 – Jack Hutton
- 1948 – A. W. Turner
- 1949 – Norman R. Copeland
- 1950 – Lee B. Johnson, PME
- 1951 – Carl E. Johnson, PME
- 1952 – John Juli (National ASSE President 1958-59)
- 1953 – Charles A. Bonner, PE, CSP, PME
- 1954 – Mal Naughten
- 1955 – T. D. (Lynn) Masters (Builder of the GAVEL)
- 1956-57 – Alfred M. Noyes
- 1957-58 – Stanley W. Parsons, CSP, PM (Cadell Award Year) (d)
- 1958-59 – Donald A. Linn, PE, CSP, PM
- 1959-60 – Carl M. Parham, PME
- 1960-61 – Thomas H. Jay
- 1961-62 – Harold I. Hemphill
- 1962-63 – John J. Over, PE, CSP, PME
- 1963-64 – Frank O. Haymond, Jr.
- 1964-65 – Paul R. Joefener, CSP
- 1965-66 – William W. Donnelly, CSP, PM
- 1966-67 – William K. Bennett, PE, CSP, PM
- 1967-68 – Edwin E. Wade, CSP, PM
- 1968-69 – James H. Skitt, CSP, PM (ASSE Region II V.P.)
- 1969-70 – Kingsland M. Frost, CSP, PM
- 1970-71 – Peter Ellis, PE, CSP, PM
- 1971-72 – Phillip G. McKellar, PE, CSP, PM (d)
- 1972-73 – Sam M. Monson, PE, CSP, PM
- 1973-74 – John L. Rheinheimer, PE, CSP, PM
- 1974-75 – Martin A. Marino, PE, CSP (Retired), PM, (ASSE Region II V.P. 78-82, Divisions V.P., Membership V.P., Trustee-ASSE Foundation) (d)
- 1975-76 – James T. Hamilton, PM (d)
- 1976-77 – Ray Chace, PE, CSP, PM
- 1977-78 – Herald J. (Jim) Koonz, PE, CSP, PM (d)
- 1978-79 – Lloyd Holliday, PE, CSP, PM (d)
- 1979-80 – John S. Lukas, PE, CSP, PM
- 1980-81 – Louis Ormsby, PE, CSP, PM
- 1981-82 – Donn Thompson, PE, CSP, PM (d)
- 1982-83 – Jay W. Preston, PE, CSP, PM (ASSE Division V.P. 87-88).
- Future Chapter President, Hector Escarcega, joins ASSE.
- Joe Kaplan receives 25-year Certificate.
- Past presidents Ed Wade and Bill Bennett receive 25-year certificates.
- Title act protection for Safety Engineers affirmed after challenge.
- 1983-84 – Tom Wallace, PE, CSP, PM
- ASSELA works with Red Cross for Olympics Safety
- 1984-85 – Gene Port, PE, CSP, CIH, PM
- 1985-86 – Allen G. Macenski, CSP, JD, PM (National ASSE President 90-91)
- 1986-87 – John O’Toole, PE, CSP, PM
- 1987-88 – Eugene Huber, PE, CSP, PM
- 1988-89 – Paul Holehouse, CSP, PM
- 1989-90 – Raymond Roth, PM (d)
- 1990-91 – Peter Couden, PM
- 1991-92 – John Phillips, CSS, CM, PM
- 1992-93 – Dave McNamera, PM
- 1993-94 – Bill Wong, PE, CSP, PM
- 1994-95 – Carlton Blanton,, PE, CSP, PM (d)
- 1995-96 – Robert Ray, PE, CSP, PM
- 1996-97 – Gloria Teper, MA, CIAQM, CSP, PM
- ASSELA Celebrates Golden Anniversary
- 1997-98 – Barbara Grimaldi, PM
- 1998-99 – Robert Sautter, PE, CSP, PM
- 1999-2000 – Bill Grieb, CSP, PM (d)
- 2000-2001 – Hector Escarcega, CSP, PM
- 2001-2002 – Bill Taylor, CSP, PM
- Chapter Achievement Award Year
- 2002-2003 – Robert D’Amato, CSP, PM (d)
- 2003-2004 – Don Kramer, CHCM, ARM, PM
- SPALW Begins at Las Vegas PDC
- 2004-2005 – Patrick Williams
- SPALW goes nationwide. ASSELA hosts 2 SPALW events
- 2005-2006 – Faye Wannlund
- 2006-2007 – Louis Therrien, CSP, ARM, PM
- Chapter Achievement Award Year (Bright Star)
- 2007-2008 – John Edward “Ed” Becker, CIH, CSP, PhD, PM
- 2008-2009 – Enrique G. “Rick” Garcia, PM
- Chapter Achievement Award Year (Chapter Star)
- 2009-2010 – Mrs. Jane Bartlett, CSP, PM
Past Presidents at our Chapter’s 60th Anniversary Dinner in January of 2006
Ormsby, Preston, Teper, Williams, Holehouse, O’Toole, Taylor, Wong, Marino, D’Amato, Kramer, Sautter.